- SCS Engineers named a recipient of the 2018 Premier Award for Client Satisfaction by PSMJ. The award honors architecture and engineering firms that deliver a truly exceptional client experience.
- Congratulations to Region 2000 Services Authority, winner of a SWANA Regional Program Achievement Award for their progressive, sustainable landfill operations.
- Thanks to our clients, SCS Engineers ranks in ENR’s Top 100 of the Top 500 Design Firms List for a decade. In the same publication, SCS is ranked in the very top tier of Sewer and Wastewater Firms.
- Thomas J. Rappolt, QEP, a Vice President and Office Director at SCS Engineers was recently re-appointed to the San Diego Air Pollution Control District Hearing Board for a three-year term beginning March 13, 2018. The Hearing Board is composed of five members appointed by the Board of Supervisors.
- The Washington D.C. Post of the Society of Military Engineers (SAME) Board of Directors recognizes David Hostetter of SCS for Outstanding Contributions by a Young Civilian Member.
- Governor Pete Ricketts recently reappointed Mike Miller of SCS to the Governor’s Council to Keep Nebraska Beautiful for an additional term until December 31, 2020. In a letter, the Governor expressed his gratitude for Mike’s valuable input and service to the citizens of the state of Nebraska.
- Wisconsin’s Dane County Solid Waste Division received the National Waste & Recycling Association’s (NWRA) Construction & Demolition Debris Recycler of the Year Award plus the Sustainability Partnership Game Changer Award. Dane County was honored for its Rodefeld Landfill C&D Recycling Facility.
- SCS Engineers Wins the Industrial Environmental Association‘s Environmental Excellence Award for work with BRIDGE Housing Corporation, a leading nonprofit developer of affordable housing. See the video here.
- Leslie Lukacs of SCS Engineers Elected to the National Recycling Coalition Board of Directors. The NRC is a non-profit organization focused on promoting and enhancing waste reduction, reuse, recycling, and composting in the United States.
- SCS Engineers honored with EDR’s PRISM 2017 Outstanding Project Award for environmental due diligence, remediation, and brownfields consulting and contracting for BRIDGE Housing’s Comm22 project.
- Engineering News-Record ranked SCS Engineers in ENR’s top 100 of the Top 500 Design List for the 9th year in a row. In the same list, SCS is ranked in the Top 10 in the Sewerage/ Wastewater Firms.
- The Solid Waste Association of North America honors Steve Hamilton with the Landfill Gas and Biogas Technical Division’s Distinguished Individual Achievement Award in recognition of his service and support advancing solid waste management and his expertise in the landfill gas industry.
- Waste360 honors Solavann Sim, PE with a 40 Under 40 Award in recognition of his innovative contributions to the waste industry.
- The Solid Waste Association of North America – Wisconsin Badger Chapter presents Phil Gearing, PE with the Young Professional Award for outstanding achievements in the solid waste industry.
- Environmental Business Journal Award for Redevelopment. A Project Merit award for SCS’s phased investigation and design program at COMM22, an award-winning mixed-use, mixed-income, transit-oriented development developed by BRIDGE Housing in San Diego, CA.
- Sustaining Member Award presented to SCS Engineers from the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME).
- Dave Hostetter, PE, LEED AP, CEM, recognized with by SAME with an Honorable Mention for Outstanding Contributions by a Young Civilian Member.
- Lee Pyle, CARO, Project Director of the Risk Management Group received RETA’s Venneman Award for her outstanding efforts in advancing the aims and ideals of the Association and for her contributions to the education and inspirational betterment of the Association in the art and science of Refrigerating Engineering throughout her career.
- SCS Engineers’ Tracie Onstad Bills and Leslie Lukacs recognized by the California Resource Recovery Association (CRRA) with the 2016 Service Award for their exceptional service and contributions to CRRA.
- Waste360 ranked SCS Engineers in the Top 100 Solid Waste and Recycling Firms in the North America. Read more.
- Engineering News-Record ranked SCS Engineers in ENR’s top 100 of the Top 500 Design List for the 8th year in a row. In the same list, SCS is ranked second as an environmental engineering firm. SCS is ranked second in the Top 10 Solid Waste Firms and Top 10 in the Sewerage/ Wastewater and Site Assessment/Compliance Firms.
- The Rocky Mountain Section of the Society of Women’s Engineers recognized Bounkheana Chhun, Associate Engineer for her volunteer work benefiting young women in engineering. Read more.
- The Kansas Society of Professional Engineers named Nicole Franken, Project Professional for its 2016 Young Engineer Award and Kristen Cope, Staff Professional for the Intern Engineer of the Year Award. Both women were also honored by the Wichita Society of Professional Engineers earlier in the year. Read more.
- David P. Hostetter PE, LEED AP, CEM, named a Waste360 Young Professional Award Winner. Read more.
- Jason Franks, Project Manager was honored with the Member of the Year Award by the Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers Heartland Chapter.
- East Alton Defense Area Rehabilitation Project Receives 2016 Yvetter H. Younge Award, an Illinois Governor’s Affordable Housing Champion Award. Emerald Ridge in East Alton, which replaced 91 obsolete World War II-era apartments, formerly known as the “Defense Area,” that were originally built as temporary, barracks-style housing for workers supporting the war effort at a nearby ammunition plant. The property is now a remarkable example of community revitalization as the blighted, unsafe housing was replaced with 46 new single-family rental homes built by RISE Community Development, the Southwestern Illinois Development Authority, and with help from SCS Engineers. Rise and SWIDA retained many former residents and the majority of the new homes are occupied by families who had previously lived in the neighborhood. Read more.
- SCS Engineers receives Environmental Excellence Award Recognizing Success in Collaboration from the Industrial Environmental Association (IEA). SCS, the
City of Encinitas, and the County of San Diego Department of
Environmental Health were honored on October 28 with this prestigious award. SCS
earned recognition for its thorough work on the Encinitas Community Park
Project. The City of Encinitas retained SCS to develop sampling work
plans, conduct soil and groundwater investigations and health risk
assessments, and identify “green” mitigation strategies to avoid
off-site disposal and greenhouse gases while ensuring public safety.
Through their knowledge of environmental policy and regulations, SCS
overcame challenges including designing a mitigation strategy that would
protect human health and the environment during construction activities
and for future generations.Due diligence and collaboration lead to the successful design and building of the Encinitas Community Park in the City of Encinitas, CA. View the video, courtesy of the Industrial Environmental Association.
- The Environmental Research and Education Foundation elects James J. Walsh, CEO and President of SCS Engineers, to their Board of Directors. Mr. Walsh’s work will focus on the Scholarship Committee. More details.
- The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) awarded Construction and Demolition Recycling Inc. with the 2014 Bronze Excellence Award in the Recycling category for pioneering the diversion of what is often considered to be the residual trash at the majority of C&D MRFs. SCS Engineers was instrumental in the successful permitting of the construction and demolition/inert debris (C&D/I) transfer and processing facility in South Gate, California, from its inception to the ultimate operation of the facility. More details.
- The National Association of Counties (NACo) awarded Wake County a 2014 Achievement Award in the category of Environmental Protection and Energy for its program entitled Wake County Landfill Gas to Energy Program Promotes Healthy County. SCS Engineers was involved with the feasibility study, permitting, design, implementation, and operations at Wake County.
- The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) posthumously awarded Robert P. Stearns the Eternal Flame Award at a special ceremony held during the Landfill Gas Symposium in March 2014. The award honors SWANA members who have made significant contributions to protecting the environment through their work in the landfill gas industry. More details.
- The Salt River Landfill in Scottsdale, Arizona, was presented with a Bronze award by SWANA in recognition of their Integrated Solid Waste Management System Excellence in 2013. SCS Engineers is proud to have supported this winning team.
- SWANA awarded SCS Senior Vice President Bob Gardner, PE, BCEE, their Distinguished Service Award for his years of service as the Association’s Landfill Management Division Director.
- Lee Pyle was awarded the Refrigerating Engineers & Technicians Association (RETA) Elliott R. Hallowell Award.
- Leon Breun was awarded the RETA Glen Smith Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The Golden Triangle Regional Solid Waste Management Authority (GTRSWMA) in Starkville, Mississippi, was selected as the recipient of SWANA’s Gold Award in the Landfill Gas Utilization category. The award was formally presented on August 14, 2012, at the annual WASTECON conference in Washington, D.C. SCS Field Services is proud to have supported the winning team. More details.
- The 7th annual Camp Pendleton Day was hosted by the Orange and San Diego County Posts of the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME). Sharon Bison was presented the SAME Regional Vice President’s medal for Outstanding Service To the Society 2007-2012 at that event. More details.
- Pete Carrico, Vice President of SCS Engineers, was awarded the 2012 Distinguished Individual Achievement Award by the Landfill Gas Management Technical Division of the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA). Mr. Carrico received this honor in Orlando, Florida, as part of SWANA’s 35th Annual Landfill Gas (LFG) Symposium. This annual award recognizes efforts by individual SWANA members for service to SWANA’s Landfill Gas Management Division, service to employers, support of SWANA’s Mission to advance the practice of MSW management, and overall long-term service to the landfill gas industry. More details.
- On February 2, SCS’s Bob Westly received the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) Regional Vice President’s medal for Outstanding Service To the Society 2009-2011, in recognition for his service as chair of the Programs Committee for the 2011 South Central/South Atlantic Regional Conference.